Thursday 17 May 2012

Offence and Offensive Words

It doesn't come across nearly as much here as it does in real verbal conversation, but I swear a lot. It isn't that I view swear words in any special light, in fact its quite the opposite, they are just words to express a strong dislike, and I dislike many things. Consequently there are some things that a refer to as "cunts" and for some reason many people seem to believe that cunt is worse than any other word in the great language of our lands, and they are entitled to this opinion.
What irritates me is that they believe this should change the way I speak. A good example of this is one girl I know who objects to my use of the word cunt, and no other word, in the same way every time "I don't like that word" this would be fine if it was just a statement of fact but it clearly is not. It is always given as a, poorly concealed, order to stop using the word cunt. My response is always the same "I don't like the word *first word into my head (often orange for reasons unknown to science)* therefore I demand you stop using it" without exception this order is ignored.
I may not genuinely be offended by "orange" but the hypocrisy of people offended by "cunt" stands out regardless. The way I speak will not be influenced by a single person, beyond the amount it changes between situations just like anyone else's. I will not omit any word, be it "cunt" or "orange", because you want me to.
Offence should come about in the same way as any other emotion, because a logical stimulus has caused it. Take racism for example, people who are offended by other races are rightly not respected for that belief as it has no logical basis, but offence at racism is respected as it is supported by logic. Yet an illogical hatred of the word cunt, albeit not as serious as racism, expects to be able to control your language.
I am not going to change the way I talk for you, so don't be a cunt about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment