Saturday 19 May 2012

Shakespeare

I've watched 2 film versions of the bard's work today, one I know well and one I have never seen nor read in any form, Macbeth and 12th night. Despite being made 60 years apart and both over 300 after the play was written, both manage to resonate more with me than anything I seen or read for many months. As a result I am forced to wonder how it is that so many people find Shakespeare boring, it amazes me that schools manage to turn people off some of the most beautiful works in the world's literary history. I refuse to believe that anyone would not enjoy Shakespeare at least as much I if they would but make the effort to witness it off their own accord and free of the constraints of an English lesson. 
Almost every common complaint about Shakespeare can either be traced back to poorly engaging education, or they stem from simple ignorance. Anyone with a reasonable grasp of modern English should have absolutely no trouble with the bard's, the fact that nothing is abbreviated and full sentences are used properly should make it far easier to understand that most modern written communications  and certainly not harder. Any claims that the issues or plot lines are outdated are clearly unfounded, many of the plays have been re-set in modern times while remaining true to the original text, so the plot is clearly as relevant today as it was in the 16-17th century or else they would have seemed insane. 
Take for example one of the speeches in 12th night "She never told her love, But let concealment, like a worm i' the bud, Feed on her damask cheek: she pined in thought, And with a green and yellow melancholy She sat like patience on a monument," I instantly recognised my own romantic cowardice in those lines, and was born less than 2 decades ago, 20 times more recently than the play was written. If you were to go though all the many works it wouldn't be long before you find a speech or a character that fits you perfectly as well.
English lessons may have tarnished your opinion of Shakespeare, but you should not let this prevent you from taking the time to realise how good his works really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment