Friday 4 May 2012

Religion- In the interest of fairness

I've been thinking a lot about religious arts recently, and modern religion in general and I suddenly realised something. My main complaints about religion are against fundamentalists (faith on the other hand is still an unreasonable system of illogical madness) but most people are able to weed out the mad orders, and benefit from the positive aspects of religion.
Religious inspiration has given us some of the most impressive forms of basically all the arts: the cathedrals at Notre Dame and Cologne are the most impressive pieces of architecture I've ever seen. Two of the most beautiful pieces of music I know are Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3Fkuq5Lf0Q) and Angel (Katherine Jenkins, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dC7TcH-3MVs) both clearly with religious inspiration. As far as I'm aware there are no atheist arts that can compete, everything is done for a purpose, ad therefore not art.
I still believe that faith without prof is insane, but ignoring beauty because you disagree with its inspiration is as mad, if not worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment